Thursday, August 14, 2008

the end of the year, but a new beginning

Calarts Countdown: 3 months 18 days

This summer has been pretty life changing for me. My recent life drawing class has opened my eyes even more as to what it takes to be an artist. To tell the truth, I have been producing work that I never thought I could draw. So this summer, I will continue to crank out work until its time to submit my portfolio.
My life drawing class this summer gave me another reality slap. During the second week of my class, I showed some of my work to my teacher Rebecca Kimmel. When she saw my paintings, she told me that my paintings weren't as strong. And after I saw her student work online, I knew that I had to step it up even more. Sadly, but at the same time I gladly gave my two weeks notice at work. But luckily since I'm considered head waitress, they'll let me come back when I have the time. So, I'm actually on vacation :)

If there's anything that I learned from being an artist, its that works in progress are UGLY. So time and patience must be needed in order to become the artist that I want to become.
My art teachers have always told me that during the 5 hour long figure drawing class, if I can produce one good drawing, then I have done my job.

I made this blog to document my process of going into art school. I have made some huge changes in my life the past few months and I need an outlet. I'm not a fan of online blogs because of a certain past event but I will try again.





1 comment:

  1. Hey Tammy! It's great to see you doing this. :) Don't let past experiences stop you from doing things. Always move forward, or, as is said in Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming!" :D

    Looking forward to seeing your work here. I'm currently in the process of editing and uploading work from IVC to the mirrorbooks blog. If you see any of your drawings and would like to copy and paste the image url here to your blog, please feel free!

    Best,

    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete